Monday, December 10, 2007

Suckers Incorporated

Life sure is strange.

Last few days, I have been running in or getting calls from people I have helped before.

Some rang up just to catch up on old times while others still think that I still have the golden touch to turn straw into gold.

The phone-call I have today takes the cake!

An acquaintance whom I have not seen for some 15 years called up unexpectedly after lunch and wanted to borrow RM5,000. She was incoherent-something about needing RM5,000 to clear cargo at the port and she will pay me three times the amount. I really do not have this kind of money and so I suggested that she get it from the credit card. To this, she said she had maxed out.

Something is not right. Is she a victim of loan sharks or just trying to sucker up on me? I will never know. Reminds me of the Sopranos and how they manhandled those who borrowed from them.

One thing I am sure, if I do loan her the money, I will most possibly be seeing her 30 years down the road.

So I will say my amens to that and hope things of this nature will not pass my way again.

Heartsong




No comments: